In constructing this model, I focused on design details and aimed to realize and resolve craft challenges. One of the first issues I discovered with that the bottom does not always hang directly below the top piece. This was especially true when the top was not hung evenly. Not realizing this problem ahead of time, I drilled two holes for the hanging rope without measuring exactly where they should go. This resulted in the birdhouse handing as if it were sketched in an “exploded view.”
I quickly resolved this by looping the hanging line around the entire top. However, the base still does not alway hang as I intended. Peter Brue, head of our workshop, recommended I crisscross the lines to help secure the base. During our discussion, Pete pointed out some other ways I could improve the design.
I feel like the multiple strings around the “hole” detract from the design and thus, in my next model, I plan on using a single string through the side of the piece. With such a simple design, Pete stressed the importance of craftsmanship and urged I cut off the excess fishing line and ensured my planes were smooth and even.