After receiving input from a variety of peers, I set out to revise my wooden life-size wind-up car model.
I extended the axle around which the rubber band would wind up and cut an in-wheel hook. I tried securing the wheel to the axle by cramming rubber bands under and immediately next to the wheel on both sides.
I lined the wheels with rubber bands to increase traction and, like the axle, secured the wheels with rubber bands.
When I tested the vehicle, I discovered the rear crosspiece, despite the hole, hindered the band. Thus, I decided to remove the piece for at least testing purposes.
Despite the new axle and rubber bands securing the wheels on the sides, the car did not work and, instead, spun in place. The issue was, in part, due to the fact that the band did not wrap around the larger axle piece. and instead, after hooked, wrapped around the dowel. In an attempt to resolve this, I added a grove around the axle wheel. I also added the rubber bands around the wheels as did I with the first attempted wooden model.
Still, though, the vehicle did not work.